Doug's Halloween Adventure

"Doug" was a cartoon that lasted for most of the 1990s, first on Nick, and then on Disney, who gave it a bit of a revamp. It wasn't side-splittingly funny, or edgy, or particularly creative, and it wasn't loaded with pop culture references for the adults, and has never really become one of those "cult" cartoons. But there was also nothing offensively bad about it, and I imagine that, as 90s stuff becomes as big as 80s stuff in a few years, there will eventually be a minor Doug revival. There are worse things that could be revived; "Doug" was always entertaining, in a not-too-challenging sort of way, and was occasionally very funny. I enjoyed watching it all through the 90s, though re-watching a few episodes lately didn't really do much for me. It hasn't aged as well as some of its "classic nick" contemporaries, like "Pete and Pete."

The Halloween episode is said to have been advertised as a regular Halloween special. It concerns Doug and his blue friend, Skeeter, going to Funky Town, the local amusement park, to ride Bloodstone Manor, a Haunted Mansion-type of attraction that is rumored to be so terrifying as to be dangerous. Rumor has it a couple of guys rode through once and all that came back was their shoes.

Doug, Skeeter and local no-goodnik Roger get stuck in the ride and Doug has to overcome his own fears to help Roger, escape. It's not a bad episode, but I would have frankly preferred just to have a detailed walkthrough of Bloodstone Manor, which looks like a really bitching ride.

6 comments:

Sparrowhawk said...

Hi, I've been trying to track down a certain Halloween movie from when I was a kid (well, I watched it in the 80s when I was a kid). I'm 99% its whatever movie you've got on the screen in the title graphic for this blog, but I can't figure out from your list which movie it is. Can you tell me? I really appreciate your time. Thanks.

Adam Selzer said...

Witch's Night Out.

Anonymous said...

The Halloween Tree- where kids and a old man travel through time to save their friend. a friend that stole the old mans pumpkin

Unknown said...

http://watchxonline.com/media/5553-doug-404-dougs-halloween-adventure.php

That is Dougs Halloween, I was looking all over for it the other day and found it at this link through sheer luck.

Erin | Bygone Living said...

Is there another link (aside from the one the previous commenter posted) where I can watch this episode? Watchxonline.com isn't working for me. Thanks!

C-Man said...

Poor Roger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...